Welcome to London Auctions Coin Department!
Welcome to London Auctions Coins. Coin collections are one of the most commonly sold type of collection we sell on behalf of vendors. The coin market at auction is extremely strong mainly due to the fact that it is still a very popular form of collecting.
Why should I sell my coin collection through London Auctions?
- Global Exposure: London Auctions provides a global platform, exposing your coin collection to a diverse audience of collectors, enthusiasts, and investors. This broad reach increases the potential for competitive bidding, which in turn maximises the chances of a successful sale.
- Expert Numismatic Valuation: Benefit from the expertise of our experienced valuation team who ensure an accurate and fair valuation, maximizing the value of your collection.
- Transparent and Trustworthy Process: London Auctions operates with transparency at every stage of the selling process. From the initial valuation to the auction and final sale, you will receive clear updates and insights, ensuring a trustworthy and open transaction.
- Competitive Bidding Environment: The auction format at London Auctions encourages competitive bidding, often leading to favourable outcomes for vendors.
- Efficient Turnaround: London Auctions ensures a relatively quick turnaround from consignment to sale. Once your coin collection is listed, the auction process moves efficiently, and successful sales are promptly followed by swift payments.
- Professional Marketing Strategies: Take advantage of our professional marketing strategies designed to promote our auctions. Your coin collection will benefit from exposure through various channels, including digital, print and radio marketing.
- Access to Coin Enthusiasts: By choosing London Auctions, your collection appears in front of a network of coin enthusiasts actively seeking to add to their collections as well as a network of dealers looking to acquire new stock.
- Expert Support and Guidance: Throughout the process, our expert team is available to provide support and guidance. Whether you have questions about the valuation, auction process, or any other aspect, our specialists are here to ensure a seamless and successful selling experience.
For free initial advice on selling your coin collection with London Auctions get in touch by either completing our contact us form or by calling us today! We are happy to give an initial estimate via email after seeing photographs. It may be necessary to arrange for us to see the collection in person in order to offer the best accurate advice.
What sorts of coins sell well at auction?
Several factors influence the desirability and market value of coins at auction. While individual preferences can vary, certain types of coins are generally well-received and often attract strong interest from collectors and investors. Here are some categories of coins that tend to sell well at auction:
- Rare and Historic Coins: Coins with historical significance or rarity, such as ancient coins, medieval coins, or coins from key historical periods, often attract attention and high bids.
- Key Date Coins: Key date coins, which are coins from a specific year that is considered rare or difficult to find.
- Gold and Silver Coins: Precious metal coins, i.e. gold and silver, are popular choices for investors and collectors alike.
- Graded and Certified Coins: Coins that have been professionally graded and certified by reputable grading services command higher prices.
- Proof Coins: Proof coins, struck with special techniques and multiple impressions, are known for their exceptional quality and detail. T
- Commemorative Coins: Coins issued to commemorate specific events, anniversaries, or individuals.
- Error Coins: Coins with minting errors, such as double strikes, off-centre strikes, or misprints.
- Ancient Coins: Coins from ancient civilizations, such as Roman, Greek, or Byzantine coins always sell well at auction.
- Coins with Famous Designs or Engravings: Coins featuring iconic designs or engravings, such as the Morgan Silver Dollar or the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, are often sought after for their aesthetic appeal and historical significance.
- Limited Edition or Commemorative Series: Coins issued as part of limited edition or commemorative series, especially those with low mintages, can be highly desirable at auction.
Popular Bullion Coins: Bullion coins, such as the American Eagle or Canadian Maple Leaf, are widely collected for their precious metal content, making them popular choices among both investors and collectors.
Half Sovereign etc
Postmasters Proof Coins
Southern Rhodesian Coins
Southern Rhodesian Half Crowns
Get a Free Valuation Now!
London Auctions accepts a wide range of coins, including ancient coins, commemorative coins, gold and silver coins, graded and certified coins, key date coins, error coins, and more.
Consigning your coins is simple. Fill out our online contact form, and our team will reach out to guide you through the process. You can also contact us directly to schedule an appointment for an in-person valuation.
Certain types of coins, such as rare and historic coins, key date coins, gold and silver coins, and graded coins, often perform well at auction. However, the market can vary, and our specialists can provide insights tailored to your collection.
You have the flexibility to consign either individual coins or entire collections, depending on your preferences. Our team works with you to create an auction plan that suits your needs.
We have a standard commission rate of 18% plus VAT although this is negotiable with larger and higher value collections.
To initiate the consignment process, fill out our online consignment form or contact us directly. Our team will guide you through the necessary steps, schedule an initial assessment, and work with you to create a customized plan for consigning your coins with London Auctions. Usually, we can offer a turnaround time from collection to pay-out of approximately one month. Sometimes this will be slightly longer if we think your collection is best off in a specialist sale.
Keep up to date with London Auctions
and other special offers & events!